Twin Maples is listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places. Twin Maples was built in 1908, designed by a well-known New York and Montclair architect, Alfred F. Norris. Twin Maples was built in the neoclassical style like our nation's White House, with the facade dominated by a full-height porch supported by classical columns. It was erected with the finest materials and details available at the time. In addition to the main house, there is a stucco Carriage House that originally sheltered carriages and horses in two large bays.
The Estate was sold by Gustav Amsink, reputedly the "wealthiest citizen of Summit", to Mr. and Mrs. James Foley, a prominent New York attorney. Karoline Davis and James Foley had no children and occupied the home until his death in 1916. James Foley's widow sold the home to Mr. and Mrs. Frederic N. Collins in 1918. Frederick Collins was president of James E. Ward & Co., steamship agents and brokers, and was known in downtown Manhattan as the "Sugar King" for bringing up sugar as cargo from the Caribbean.
The Collins had one daughter Lydia, and conducted a lively household entertaining extensively until he died in 1947 at the age of 90. Lydia attended Kent Place School in Summit and married Rev. Dr. W. J. deForest. Mrs. Collins sold the house in 1949 for $27,000 to the Fortnightly Club, which was founded in 1893 by Mary Burlington Wilcox, wife of Summit's first mayor.